Upgrade to an efficient room air conditioner
In the summer, air conditioning can account for a significant portion of your home's energy bill. When you replace your old room air conditioner or buy a new one, choosing an efficient, ENERGY STAR® certified unit could lower your cooling costs.
What to look for:
- The ENERGY STAR label. Certified models use almost 10% less energy than conventional models.
- The right size. A unit that is too large will operate less efficiently.
- An easy-to-clean filter. Look for a model with a filter that slides out easily.
- A good fit. If you are choosing a window air conditioning unit, be sure it will fit snugly in the window so you don't lose precious cooled air.
- A timer. This added feature can help you stay comfortable and avoid over-cooling.
Installation notes: Placing the unit in a shaded window and using a ceiling fan will save you even more. Use the materials provided to create a tight fit between the window edge and the unit.
Reminders: Remember to remove window air conditioning units in the winter to keep cold air from entering your home and to help your unit last longer.